We have had lots of conversations with parents as we all wade into the challenge of keeping our children learning while we self isolate. Many parents are feeling completely lost or overwhelmed, so we wanted to bring together some of the wonderful resources that are available at the moment.
First off though, we wanted to let you know that we are not home-schoolers. We have a huge amount of respect for the parents who choose to invest years planning and learning to be able to guide their children through their school learning. Also our appreciation really goes out to the teachers and administrative staff who train for teaching as their life's work.
What we are doing is "crisis schooling" in this time of self-isolation & social distancing.
The two are not the same!
So here are some bits of advice that we have been pondering as we move into this challenge:
- BE KIND TO YOURSELF AND YOUR KIDS.
When in doubt stop pushing and do something fun.
- YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO HOURS OF WORK.
Choose a few activities to give your kids some structure and then call it a day!
- TEACH A LIFE SKILL.
This is a great time to make sure that kids have some basic self sufficiency tasks such as laundry, making lunch, making their bed etc.
- DON'T TRY AND DO IT ALL!
Give some time in an area where your child needs some extra support in their learning or some extra time to fully understand a concept they may have rushed through.
schooling resources for parents:
We know that this can all be very overwhelming, so we have broken our list of online support resources down by subject / area of study.
general curriculum by grade
Science & Math
- Crash Course Kids on YouTube (starting with 5th grade science but adding more topics as they move forward)
- TED - ED on YouTube
- Minute Physics on YouTube
- Big Think on YouTube
- SciKidz blog (usually a science summer camp)
- Discovery K12 Online Homeschool
- Enchanted Learning
- Explore space with NASA
- Homeschool Math - worksheets by grade
- Knowledge.ca - science & technology
- Adaptive Mind
- A Plus Math
- Bedtime Math
- Bitesize Math
- Can Figure It Out - Geometry
- Cool Math For Kids
- E-learning For Kids
- GO Noodles
- Dancepl3y - easy online learn to danceclasses
- Sportball Challenges & Sportball Oympics
- Biglife Journal - 50 mindfullness resources for children & teens
- ABC YOGA FOR KIDS
- Annaka Harris Guided Meditation
- Cosmic Kids
- Just Dance
- Kinderling - Bedtime Explorers
- Little Sports
- Physical Educator
- Roblox Fitness Challenges For Kids
Wondering what to do with the kids in Metro Vancouver this weekend, or what to make for dinner? You can find it at HealthyFamilyLiving.com! From the Sunshine Coast to the Fraser Valley, we’re the best online resource for busy parents looking for practical tips for healthy, active, sustainable living. For the latest on family events, outdoor adventures, birthday parties, camps & classes and kid-approved recipes, follow us on Facebook and sign-up for our parent-approved e-newsletter!