If you want a crowd-pleasing appetizer that is quick AND easy, this recipe for CHEESE-Y PINWHEELS is for you! Five or fewer ingredients to whip up a crunchy, cheesy, handheld appetizer the whole family will love.
Have you ever tried plant-based cheese? This was a new one for us and we are so glad we took the plunge! The Very Good Cheese Co. holds true to it's name with cultured, nut-based cheeses are carefully crafted in small batches and naturally preserved through fermentation instead of preservatives. These tasty soy and gluten-free cheeses are perfect for everything from a grilled cheese sandwich to a gourmet cheese plate!
CHEESE-Y HERB PINWHEELS
A quick & easy plant-based crowd-pleasing appetizer!
Makes ~48 pinwheels
- ½ block VERY GOOD CHEESE CO. DILL-ISH OR PEPPERJACK (works with all cheeses)
- ⅔ cup plant-based cream cheese (we recommend trying Earth's Own)
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs (like parsley, dill, mint, rosemary, or thyme), chopped
- ½-1 pkg VERY GOOD BACON, chopped (optional)
- flour, for dusting
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or reusable silicone.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Very Good Cheese Co., cream cheese, and herbs. Mix well, we recommend using an electric mixer.
- On a clean countertop, lightly dust the surface with flour. Place 1 puff pastry on a floured surface, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll pastry to a 10 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Gently spread half of the cheese mixture over the entire puff pastry and sprinkle with half of the bacon, if using.
- Tightly roll into a 12-inch log and place it in the refrigerator.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with the remaining ingredients.
- Remove the first pinwheel log from the refrigerator and cut it into 24 pinwheels. Place pinwheels on lined parchment paper. Repeat with other pinwheel logs. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Keep for up to 3 days refrigerated in an airtight container. Reheat at 375F for about 5 minutes.
Wondering what to do with the kids in Metro Vancouver this weekend, or what to make for dinner? You can find it at HealthyFamilyLiving.com! From the Sunshine Coast to the Fraser Valley, we’re the best online resource for busy parents looking for practical tips for healthy, active, sustainable living. For the latest on family events, outdoor adventures, birthday parties, camps & classes and kid-approved recipes, follow us on Facebook and sign-up for our parent-approved e-newsletter!