What to do on a rainy day? Don’t get us wrong, we love Metro Vancouver and all the outdoor activities there are to do such as family-friendly hikes and easy bike trails. But some days you just need a break from dressing everyone in rain gear from head to toe. On those days we are looking for fun, engaging rainy day activities that allow the family to have fun but stay warm and dry.
Here are some of our favourites:
Family-Friendly Indoor Rainy Day Activities In Metro Vancouver
- Always a hit with the kids is the Vancouver Aquarium. Check out the indoor and outdoor exhibits, and meet the rescued animal such as Taz the baby Sea Otter.
- Bloedel Conservatory is a bird-lovers paradise! Take a break from the cold & rainy day in the warmth of the tropics and enjoy exotic plants and flowers, dreaming of warmer times.
- Ahoy Matey! Rainy Days don’t have to be boring! Check out the hands-on interactive fun at the Vancouver Maritime Museum including operating a submersible, and checking out the authentic reproduction of the bridge of a tugboat in English Bay, and the front of Captain George Vancouver’s ship.
- Check your local rec centre for skate times.
- See over 250 type of puppets as well as sculptures and totems at the UBC Museum of Anthropology.
- Take a trip without leaving the city with the awe-inspiring FlyOver Canada. BC RESIDENTS SAVE UP TO 20%!
- Grab tickets to a family-friendly stage show at the Carousel Theater.
- Let their imagination run wild at Kidsworld! While you enjoy a warming coffee!
- Visit the Coquitlam HQ of Springfree Trampoline to test drive their amazing trampolines!
- Expand their young minds with an Imax movie at Science World! Spend the whole day trying all the hands-on activities where kids and grown-ups can learn about outer space, dinosaurs, health science and more.
- Marvel at the unique and handcrafted toys at the Kids Market. With a multi-level play area and cafe on-site…you are all set.
- Take a wider view of the world at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre a great place for the whole family to learn and enjoy with astronomy shows, live interactive science demonstrations, hands-on exhibits and star-gazing.
- Sign up for one of the free weekend arts-based events for kids and families each month at ArtStarts —in Vancouver and New Westminster.
- Develop you inner artist! Every Sunday, the Vancouver Art Gallery offers unique activities geared toward 5- to 12-year-old visitors and their families. All activities are free for children aged 12 & under when accompanied by an adult.
- Capilano River Hatchery in North Vancouver, gives families a chance to see salmon hatching in action. See Chinook adults in October to November, Coho adults June through November, and Steelhead adults from March through April. But you can visit with juvenile Cohos all year!
- Try your hand at rock climbing with an intro lesson at either Climb Base5 location – Coquitlam or North Vancouver.
- Join a Lego party at the Vancouver Public Library.
- Get lost in your gelato dreams.
- Try your hand at bowling at one of the many bowling alleys across town.
Head to the beach with the little ones – an indoor beach that is at 6Pack Beach!
Wondering what to do with the kids in Metro Vancouver this weekend, or what to make for dinner? You can find it at HealthyFamilyLiving.com! From the Sunshine Coast to the Fraser Valley, we’re the best online resource for busy parents looking for practical tips for healthy, active, sustainable living. For the latest on family events, outdoor adventures, birthday parties, camps & classes and kid-approved recipes, follow us on Facebook and sign-up for our parent-approved e-newsletter!