When you are craving Chinese take-out flavours but are either trying to cut down on fast food or need to cut back on spending. This superfast egg roll in a bowl delivers. It has all the flavour, none of the junk and is ready in no time! Add in different veggies such as peas or edamame or sub out the protein to make this your own. This will quickly become a gluten-free- dairy-free favourite for young & old.
This meal comes together in 15 minutes and will be gone in seconds. You can top with sriracha for a spicy kick.
For nights where you need a bit more, you can always stir cooked rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa into the mix before serving. This is also a great way to bulk up any leftovers to cover lunch the next day.
Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 large bag packaged coleslaw mix approx 4 cups of any combination of cabbages/carrots/broccoli
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 green onions sliced
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken breast (can substitute ground pork, veggie crumble or crumbled tofu)
- 1-2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Brown your choice of protein in a medium non-stick skillet until cooked all the way through and then add the ginger and 5 spice, soy sauce & sesame oil.
- Add all of the coleslaw mix and carrots, stir till coated with spices.
- Add 1/2 chopped green onion, mix thoroughly and cook on medium-high heat until the coleslaw mix is softened.
- Serve in a bowl topped with more green onion and lots of sesame seeds.
Co-founder of Healthy Family Media and the Healthy Family Expo, Kay is an adventurer & Ironman triathlete, as well as mum to an active 11-year-old. Originally from Montreal, she has been proud to call British Columbia home for over 15 years. Whether running, hiking & biking in the mountains or creating healthy meals in the kitchen, Kay is always up for something new. Her contagious enthusiasm & zest for life mean we’re never quite sure what she’ll be up to next, but we’re sure that it will be an amazing adventure!