We're suckers for chili mac & cheese! Whether it's comfort food on a rainy day, served in the sunshine with salad, or packed into a cooler for an easy camping meal...it never disappoints. This plant-based version with GUSTA 100% natural veggie ground & vegan cheeses is delicious and will feed a crowd no matter who is there.
We want our kids to open their minds to all types of healthy eating and using GUSTA veggie ground in traditional meat dishes helps with this. If you haven't tried their new veggie ground, we encourage you to give it a go. The planet & your health will thank you! We also love GUSTA's vegan cheeses that are made with coconut oil. They’re flavoured with spices & nutritional yeast that give that familiar cheese taste. Use GUSTA wherever you like: pizzas, baked dishes, grilled cheese, pasta dishes, and raclettes. They really hit the ooey-gooey mark beautifully!
Chili Mac & Cheese
This Chili Mac & Cheese is so satisfying!
- 8 oz (250g) dry weight elbow or macaroni pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tbsp minced garlic)
- 350g GUSTA Mex Veggie Ground
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (210g) tomato puree
- 1 cup (250 ml) veggie broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz (400g) red kidney beans, drained
- 7 oz (200g) black beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mozza Style cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Style cheese
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based pot (or casserole pot) over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until transparent, then add the diced jalapeno pepper and garlic, sautéing for a minute more until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add GUSTA Mex Veggie Ground and cook until browned, breaking up any big chunks with the end of your wooden spoon. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt and mix through until the veggie ground is fully coated in the seasonings.
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes along with the juices, tomato puree, broth, tomato paste, and beans. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer while stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Preheat the oven broiler (or grill) on medium heat.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss well to combine. Top with cheese, transfer to the oven and broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
- Garnish with sliced jalapeños and chopped cilantro (optional).
- Serve & enjoy!
Wondering what to do with the kids in Metro Vancouver this weekend, or what to make for dinner? You can find it at HealthyFamilyLiving.com! From the Sunshine Coast to the Fraser Valley, we’re the best online resource for busy parents looking for practical tips for healthy, active, sustainable living. For the latest on family events, outdoor adventures, birthday parties, camps & classes and kid-approved recipes, follow us on Facebook and sign-up for our parent-approved e-newsletter!