This easy master muffin recipe will allow you to adapt to your family’s taste in many different ways. Once you have mastered the basic easy recipe, the sky is the limit for combinations. We have many delicious flavour variations based on this healthy muffin recipe but get creative the point here is to get creative!
Let the kids create their own versions, or make a few flavours at the same time and load up the freezer.
Here are some of the flavour add-ins that we love:
- BLUEBERRY LEMON: 1 cup blueberries & 1tbsp lemon zest
- CRANBERRY ORANGE: ½ cup dried cranberries & 1 tbsp orange zest
- CHUNKY MONKEY:1 mashed banana, ½ cup dark chocolate chips & ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- CHERRY ALMONDINE: ¼ tsp Almond extract and 1 cup chopped frozen cherries
- STRAWBERRY FIELDS: 1 cup chopped strawberries
- MEXICAN CHOCOLATE: ¼ cup organic cocoa powder & ½ tsp cinnamon
- GREEN SMOOTHIE: ½ cup green smoothie instead of milk
- PINA COLADA: ½ cup crushed pineapple & ¼ cup dried unsweetened coconut
- MORNING GLORY: ¼ cup grated carrot, ¼ cup grated zucchini, ¼ cup raisins, ¼ cup dried apricots, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- PUMPKIN PIE: ½ cup pumpkin puree & 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- APPLE PIE: ½ cup diced apple & ½ tsp cinnamon
- APPLE ZUCCHINI: Substitute applesauce for greek yogurt & ½ cup grated zucchini
Healthy Muffin Master Recipe
- 1 1/2 c. Whole wheat flour
- ½ c all purpose flour
- 1 c. Old-fashioned rolled oats not quick oats or steel cut
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 4 Tbsp hemp seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract can be changed for different flavour options
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. Greek yogurt use applesauce to make non-dairy
- 1/2 c. milk or milk alternative
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Spray muffin tins with non-stick pan spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients. Blend gently just till dry ingredients are moistened and evenly distributed.
- Fold in flavour add-ons.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375° F for about 15 minutes till muffins are done. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Can be frozen after they are cooled.
- Makes 20-24 muffins.
Wondering what to do with the kids in Metro Vancouver this weekend, or what to make for dinner? You can find it at HealthyFamilyLiving.com! From the Sunshine Coast to the Fraser Valley, we’re the best online resource for busy parents looking for practical tips for healthy, active, sustainable living. For the latest on family events, outdoor adventures, birthday parties, camps & classes and kid-approved recipes, follow us on Facebook and sign-up for our parent-approved e-newsletter!